The B.S. in Communication program is designed for students who want to enter communication fields such as marketing, public relations, corporate communications, or advertising. Applicable to a variety of public and private work environments, the curriculum focuses on development of core communication competencies and offers graduates the analytical, theoretical, and practical communication skills required to identify and develop creative and strategic communication solutions using various forms of media. Specific areas of focus include mass communication, interpersonal communication, persuasive speaking, group dynamics, crisis management, critical thinking, professional writing strategies, intercultural communications, and future trends in new and emerging media. Studies culminate with a capstone course in which students apply what they have learned by creating a comprehensive communications plan for a setting of their choice.
The B.S. in Communication program helps students to blend communication theory with practical communication skills. At the end of this program, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate effective written communication skills for multicultural and diverse audiences.
2. Assess awareness of their own values, dispositions, and communication styles as evident in their interpersonal, group, and mass communications.
3. Critically analyze contextual needs to select appropriate communication strategies.
4. Successfully collaborate with others in ways that promote personal accountability and mutual respect.
5. Competently employ use of digital communication in professional settings.
6. Utilize a systems perspective to optimize organizational, community, and global communication.
7. Demonstrate ethical, socially aware strategies in their communications with both local and far-reaching audiences.
- 181 total quarter credit hours (including 45 cr. completed at Walden)
- General education courses (45 cr.)
- First course (1 cr.)
- Core courses (50 cr.)
- Concentration courses (15 cr.)
- Elective courses (65 cr.)
- Capstone course (5 cr.)