Nov 30, 2022
Return to: Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Tempo Learning® is Walden’s competency-based education modality, an alternative way of earning a Walden degree offered for some Walden programs. Instead of courses, the Walden Tempo Learning® program is comprised of competencies and rigorous assessments. Students progress through the Tempo Learning® model by successfully passing competency assessments. A student must successfully achieve or master all competency assessments to graduate from the program.
Students earn the same Walden degree whether they choose the course-based or the competency-based modality.
- 30 total semester credits
- Core competencies (27 sem. cr.)
- Capstone (3 sem. cr.)
Core Competencies (27 sem. cr.)
- BE001 Business Leadership, Management, and Ethics
Recognize ethical, legal, leadership, and human resource issues in the business environment.
- BE002 Accounting and Finance
Explain key accounting and finance concepts in the business environment.
- BE003 Economics and Quantitative Methods/Statistics
Recognize economic and statistical concepts and methods used in business.
- BE004 Information Systems Management and Global Dimensions of Business
Identify factors that support managing information in a global business environment.
- BE005 Marketing and Business Integration and Strategic Management
Identify the relationship among strategic management, operations management, business integration, and marketing that enhances the effectiveness of marketing efforts.
- DL001 Dynamic Leadership Frameworks and Theories
Evaluate leadership approaches through established leadership frameworks and theories.
- DL002 Leadership and Followership
Develop strategies for effective leadership and followership that incorporate best practices.
- DL003 Leadership’s Relationship to Management
Synthesize personal values and experiences to support leadership develop and ethical decision making.
- MN001 Shaping a Positive and Inclusive Workplace
Evaluate the role of managers in creating an engaging and inclusive workplace culture.
- MN002 Developing Individual and Teams
Assess management strategies that promote development of individual employees and teams.
- MN003 Managing Authentically and Ethically
Synthesize a personal management code of ethics that focuses on diversity, inclusion, personal values, ethical management, and positive social change.
- FC001 Understanding Creativity and Innovation
Analyze the role of creativity and innovation in business practices.
- FC002 Generating Breakthrough Ideas That Inspire Innovative Solutions
Develop leadership strategies that foster a culture of creativity and innovation in an organization.
- FC003 Harnessing Creativity and Innovation to Develop a Successful Organizational Strategy
Appraise creative and innovative solutions to address an organizational challenge.
- MB001 The Role and Value of Information Systems in Business
Evaluate strategies to drive strategic value from information technology.
- MB002 Managing Data, Security, and Business Continuity
Evaluate approaches to support business continuity in the context of ethics, privacy, and security risks.
- MB003 Aligning the Organization and Planning for the Future
Appraise the effects of organizational culture on information technology implementation and management.
MM001 Communication Begins With Who, Why, and How
Evaluate communication channels and mediums to communicate effectively for messaging purpose, audience, and context.
MM002 Interpersonal Communication
Apply appropriate verbal and nonverbal skills to communicate effectively in one-to-one communication.
MM003 Communicating Across and Beyond the Organization
Apply differentiated communication approaches to influence stakeholder perception and change, both within and beyond the organization.
- IV001 Thinking in Systems for Organizational Improvement
Evaluate organizational problems using a systems thinking approach to support decision making and effective communication.
- IV002 Improving Business Performance Through Systems Thinking
Develop a plan to manage and improve organizational performance that integrates a systems thinking approach.
- IV003 Practicing Systems Thinking
Evaluate solutions to organizational challenges and opportunities in light of systems thinking, ethical reasoning, and management theory.
- AM001 Budgeting for Decision Making
Analyze organizational performance in terms of strategic planning, forecasts, and budgets.
- AM002 Costs, Prices, and Profits
Assess managerial accounting tools and measures to inform decision making.
- AM003 Performance Measurements: Planet, People, and Profit
Evaluate the financial, social, and environmental performance of an organization using accounting measures and frameworks.
- MT001 Understanding the Customer, Products and Services, and Technology
Analyze the influence of creative and innovative marketing strategies on buyer behavior.
- MT002 Linking Marketing and Strategy
Evaluate aspects of marketing strategy to support decision making and capture market share.
- MT003 Marketing Impact on the Organizational Level
Propose marketing tactics to address market trends for a diverse audience.
- MF001 Multiple Perspectives of Financial Management
Appraise a publicly traded company’s practices related to global financial management.
- MF002 Financial Analysis
Evaluate a company’s financial health and areas for improvement based on financial ratios.
- MF003 Capital Budget in Finance
Analyze financial data related to short- and long-term financing needs for an organization.
Capstone Competency (3 sem. cr.)
- SU001 Understanding the Organization
Analyze aspects of organizational strategy development and implementation.
- SU002 Evaluating Opportunities and the Organization’s Readiness
Assess the effects of cross-functional strategic thinking on an organization’s performance and strategic advantage.
- SU003 Articulating Organizational Strategy and Understanding the Individual’s Role
Develop a strategic plan based on personal skills and knowledge for improved organizational performance.