2021–2022 Walden University Catalog (September 2021) 
    Dec 03, 2021  
2021–2022 Walden University Catalog (September 2021)

Post-Master’s Certificate in Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of Nursing

This certificate program prepares nurses with an MSN or a nurse practitioner MSN degree with the specialized information, knowledge, and skills to be eligible to take the national NP certification examination appropriate to the specialty and to obtain NP licensure at the state level.

Certificate Requirements

  • 38 total quarter credits and 640 clinical hours
  • Foundation course (3 cr.)
  • Specialization courses (35 cr.)

Course Sequence

Students undertake courses in the following sequence.

Quarter Course Credits
1  * 3 cr.
   5 cr.
2    5 cr.
   5 cr.
(Note: NURS/NUNP/NRNP/PRAC 6566 will replace NURS/NUNP/NRNP/PRAC 6531. AGACNP students will complete 6531 until 6566 is released. Once 6566 is released, it will replace 6531.)
5 cr. (3 cr. didactic, 2 cr. practicum)
5 cr. (3 cr. didactic, 2 cr. practicum)
5 cr. (3 cr. didactic, 2 cr. practicum)
5 cr. (3 cr. didactic, 2 cr. practicum)

*Courses must be taken at Walden University.
With the exception of NURS 6003, all didactic courses are 5 quarter credits.
All clinical courses are 3 credits didactic and 2 credits clinical practice.

Note on CCNE Accreditation

The Baccalaureate Degree Program in Nursing (BSN), Master’s Degree Program in Nursing (MSN), Post-graduate APRN certificate program, and Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program at Walden University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (https://www.aacnnursing.org/CCNE). Officially recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education as a national accreditation agency, the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) is an autonomous accrediting agency, contributing to the improvement of the public’s health. CCNE ensures the quality and integrity of baccalaureate, graduate, and residency programs in nursing.

Note on Licensure, Certification, or Other State Credential Necessary to Practice as a Nurse Practitioner

Most states require graduation from a CCNE-accredited nurse practitioner program to be eligible to apply for certification to practice as an NP. However, the requirements for certification as a nurse practitioner vary from state to state. Each state board that is responsible for regulating the practice of nurse practitioners has its own academic requirements and issues its own certification to practice in that state. While Walden University enrollment specialists can provide general information relating to the state-by-state educational requirements for certification, it remains the student’s responsibility to understand, evaluate, and comply with all requirements relating to field education experiences, licensing or certification, authorization or endorsement for the state in which she or he resides. Walden University makes no representations or guarantee that completion of its coursework or programs will permit an individual to obtain state licensure, certification, authorization, endorsement, or other state credential. Licensure and certification eligibility determinations are ultimately determined by the appropriate state board that issues the credential to practice.

Prospective students enrolling in licensure/certification-leading programs are advised that relocation to another state may impact the student’s ability to complete field experiences and/or to obtain professional licensure, certification or other credential in another state. Prospective students are advised to carefully review, evaluate and understand the requirements of the applicable board of nursing or agency that has jurisdiction over Registered Nurses (RNs) and Advance Practice Registered Nurses (APRNs) in the state in which they intend to relocate.

Note on Field Experience and Relocating

Students who are considering relocating are advised to contact their student success advisor prior to any decision to relocate in order to determine how relocation may impact progress in their program.  Advisors can provide information and guidance on how relocating may result in possible changes, restrictions, and/or additional requirements affecting field experience. Each Board of Nursing and Higher Education Authority governs the field experience rules and regulations in their respective states, and students may be unable to complete field experience in the state in which they plan to relocate. While Walden is committed to working collaboratively with students to secure field sites across the United States, it is imperative that students contact their student success advisor immediately when considering relocating.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of Nursing