Mar 04, 2021
Return to: Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Completion Program
Tempo Learning® is Walden’s competency-based education modality, an alternative way of earning a Walden degree offered for some Walden programs. Instead of courses, the Walden Tempo Learning® program is comprised of competencies and rigorous assessments. Students progress through the Tempo Learning® model by successfully passing competency assessments. A student must successfully achieve or master all competency assessments to graduate from the program.
Students earn the same Walden degree whether they choose the course-based or the competency-based modality.
- 180 total credits
- General education courses (50 cr)
- Upper-level nursing core courses (50 cr)
- Elective courses and prior nursing credit (80 cr)
General Education Courses (50 cr.)
See the general education section of this Walden University Catalog.
Upper-Level Nursing Core (50 cr.)
(Note: NURS 3100 is worth 5 credits, not 6, in the competency-based program.)
- IN3001 The Power of Nursing
Recognize the role of the nurse as a leader in the dynamic field of healthcare.
- IN3002 Nurses at the Forefront of Issues and Trends
Analyze factors, issues, and trends impacting the nursing profession.
- IN3003 Quality and Safety Practices for Healthcare Solutions
Explain how evidence-based nursing solutions promote patient quality and safety.
- IN3004 Interprofessional Teamwork: Civil Collaboration for the Common Good
Recommend appropriate strategies to promote civility and interprofessional communication in the workforce.
- IN3005 Powerful Caring Leads to Social Change
Analyze the responsibility of nursing professionals to advocate for social change.
- IN3006 Creating Your Personal Nursing Legacy
Evaluate areas of strength and areas of professional growth for improving the health and healthcare delivery of populations.
- HA3001 Cultural and Genetic Influences on Health
Identify population health, cultural influences, and genetic and genomic information as it relates to conducting a health history and physical assessment.
- HA3002 Ethical Issues in Health Assessment
Articulate ethical issues related to obtaining a health history and physical exam.
- HA3003 Biopsychosocial Factors
Evaluate the impact of biopsychosocial factors on a patient during a health assessment.
- HA3004 Comprehensive Health History
Conduct and document a comprehensive health history.
- HA3005 Comprehensive Physical Assessment
Conduct and document a comprehensive physical assessment.
- IM3001 Informatics in Healthcare
Recognize the importance of nursing informatics in healthcare and how it impacts the nurse’s role and
the healthcare institution.
- IM3002 Workflows and Workarounds in Nursing Practice
Design workflows to eliminate workarounds in nursing practice.
- IM3003 Clinical Data Evaluation
Evaluate clinical data to support evidence-based decision-making related to safe, quality healthcare delivery.
- IM3004 Protecting Patient Privacy
Use strategies to ensure the protection of patient data and privacy.
- IM3005 Healthcare Technology and Informed Decision Making
Create educational plans in collaboration with patients based on information from healthcare technology.
- NR3001 Research Process
Recognize the elements of the research process.
- NR3002 Research Methodology
Analyze research methodologies.
- NR3003 Interpreting Data
Analyze and interpret research data.
- NR3004 Research Recommendations
Generate reasonable conclusions and recommendations based on published research findings.
- EP4001 Evidence-Based Practice Models for Research
Understand the importance of using models to facilitate evidence-based practice.
- EP4002 Clinical Nursing Issues
Develop an evidence-based practice question based on a clinical nursing issue.
- EP4003 Evaluating Research
Evaluate research related to a clinical practice issue.
- EP4004 Designing Interventions
Recommend evidence-based clinical interventions or process improvements to promote positive patient health outcomes.
- HP4001 Policy and the Role of the Nurse
Analyze the role of the nurse as a force that shapes policy.
- HP4002 U.S. Healthcare System
Demonstrate an understanding of the U.S. healthcare system.
- HP4003 Social Determinants of Health
Analyze healthcare policy and social determinants of health and how they impact health disparities.
- HP4004 Evaluating Health Policy
Evaluate federal, state, and local policies on healthcare.
- HP4005 Advocacy for Policy Change
Recommend policy change to advocate for positive patient outcomes.
- GH4001 Principles of Epidemiology
Recognize principles of epidemiology.
- GH4002 The Role of the Nurse in Disaster and Emergency Preparedness
Analyze the role of the nurse leader in preparing for and responding to public health disasters and emergencies.
- GH4003 Communication and Collaboration With Diverse Cultures
Analyze population health beliefs and behaviors to inform culturally competent nursing practice.
- GH4004 The State of Global Health
Compare a health problem and the healthcare system of the U.S. to other countries.
- PH4001 The Role of the Nurse Leader in Population Health
Analyze the role of the nurse leader in population health.
- PH4002 Identifying Health Problems Within Your Community
Justify a public health problem within your community using multiple sources of data.
- PH4003 Community Assessment (Practicum)
Analyze a population health problem based on a community assessment.
- PH4004 Evidence-Based Practice in Public Health Nursing (Practicum)
Synthesize sources of information to inform public health nursing interventions.
- PH4005 Evidence-Based Intervention Plan (Practicum)
Create an evidence-based primary intervention plan at the system level in collaboration with health leaders to improve the health of a population in your community.
- CN4001 Nurse as Leader
Analyze the leadership role of the nurse in preventing and managing health problems across the lifespan in healthcare practice settings.
- CN4002 Genetics and Genomics
Develop a patient education fact sheet for a genetic-based healthcare issue.
- CN4003 Staffing Plan
Analyze the process of creating a staffing plan that meets both patient care needs and budget constraints.
- CN4004 Data-Driven Nursing Interventions
Create a data-driven nursing intervention based on quality indicators.
- LC4001 Healthcare Quality
Analyze healthcare quality for nursing practice.
- LC4002 Quality Improvement Processes
Analyze quality improvement processes.
- LC4003 Quality Improvement Tools
Analyze information from quality improvement tools.
- LC4004 Leadership for Organizational Culture and Growth
Analyze leadership for organizational culture and growth to promote positive social change through patient quality and safety.
- LC4005 Improving Patient Quality and Safety
Apply quality improvement processes and tools as a scholar-practitioner to improve quality and safety.
Elective Courses and Prior Nursing Credit (80 cr.)
Nurses admitted to the program may be awarded up to 50 quarter credits for meeting competencies required to achieve the nursing license through either a diploma program or an associate degree program.
Students with less than 80 transfer credits can choose elective courses from any of Walden’s bachelor degree programs.