Return to: School of Management
“Walden University is a unique institution graduating students who are ready to make the world a better place.”
Ph.D. in Management Student
Walden’s Ph.D. in Management, formerly the Ph.D. in Applied Management and Decision Sciences, is one of the few Ph.D. programs in management offered online. The program takes an interdisciplinary approach to the field of management and its influence on the development of individuals and society. Students will conduct original research in a specific area of interest as they have the opportunity to learn theories, concepts, and techniques that provide the foundation for sound management decision making. Students will help prepare to meet the challenges and opportunities in their profession and their organization; study ways to facilitate positive social change; and help enhance their capabilities as a researcher, scholar, manager, or consultant.
The curriculum for the Ph.D. in Management offers an interdisciplinary approach to the study of management. Students may choose a specialization that fits a personal and/or career objective.
At the end of the program, students will be able to:
- Articulate the evolution of the field of management and its relationship to human and societal development.
- Analyze various theories, concepts, and tools that seek to explain and provide the basis for management decision making.
- Evaluate management and systems-thinking principles at the core of the design and evolution of organizational and social systems.
- Appraise the relevance of seminal, current, and emerging management theories and practices from an interdisciplinary and social-change perspective.
- Assess identified gaps in the current research literature in the field of management and in their chosen areas of specialization.
- Design efficacious and ethical research that addresses identified gaps in the body of knowledge in management and related sub-fields.
- Advance the body of knowledge through original research in the field of management and chosen areas of specialization via the application of a variety of appropriate methodology, design, and analysis methods.
- Communicate effectively to academic and general stakeholders the results of original research that advances the field of knowledge in management and chosen specializations and contributes to positive social change.
Walden University’s Ph.D. in Management program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). ACBSP is a leading, specialized accreditation association that identifies and supports excellence in business education.
- Professional Development Plan and program of study
- Core coursework (20 cr.)
- Foundation Research Sequence (12 cr.)
- Specialization coursework (20 cr.)
- Advanced Research course (4 cr.)
- Proposal, dissertation, and oral presentation (26 cr.)
- Four 4-day residencies