2013-2014 Walden University Student Handbook (December 2013) 
    Feb 08, 2023  
2013-2014 Walden University Student Handbook (December 2013) [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Withdrawing from the University

Return to: Academic Progress 

The university’s programs are designed to permit students to pursue their studies full time while managing the many responsibilities they have as adult professionals. The university will, however, accommodate a student’s request to officially withdraw when effective progress is not possible because of extraordinary hardships. Students requesting a university withdrawal must contact a member of the Academic Advising Team to verify that the university has done everything it can to assist them in continuing their studies.

Phone requests, failure to participate in coursework, and/or notification to the course instructor do not constitute an official withdrawal request.

The date of the withdrawal will be no earlier than the date of the student’s written request to the Academic Advising Team. Students must submit a university withdrawal request form, which can be found in Registrar Forms or through their myWalden university portal.

Course Grades and Official Withdrawal From the University

Students who withdraw during a term but on or before the last day to withdraw from classes will receive a grade of W (Withdraw) for all course registrations for that term. Students who withdraw after the last day to withdraw from classes will receive grades based on the coursework they completed up until the time the leave starts, for each class for which they had been registered in the term. Students should refer to the Academic Calendar to confirm the last day to withdraw from classes for the relevant term.

Administrative Withdrawal

When students cease to attend class but fail to notify the university that they are withdrawing, the university will administratively withdraw them from their courses. In the case of an administrative withdrawal, Walden University will determine whether a return of federal funds is necessary, in compliance with federal regulations relating to Student Assistance General Provision [34 CFR 668.22].

Class Participation Requirement

In accordance with the U.S. Department of Education guidance regarding class participation, Walden University requires that all students submit their required Week 1 assignments within each course(s) during the first 7 calendar days of the class. The first calendar day of class is the official start date of the course as posted on your myWalden academic page.

Assignments submitted prior to the official start date will not count toward your participation.

Financial Aid cannot be released without class participation as defined above.

Students who have already taken, and successfully completed, at least one or more class(es) with Walden will be dropped ONLY from any class(es) in which they are not participating if they do not complete their assignments by the end of the 7th day.

Students who are taking their first class with Walden, and do not complete their assignments by the end of the 7th day, will be administratively withdrawn from the university.

Note: Once students begin participating in class, they are considered active and are responsible for adhering to all university policies and for paying all applicable tuition and fees.

Withdrawal for Recipients of Federal Financial Aid

The Financial Aid Programs  chapter of this Walden University Student Handbook contains information about how withdrawal may affect a student’s financial aid.