May 08, 2021
2013-2014 Walden University Student Handbook (December 2013) [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
University Transfer Requirements
Return to: Transfer of Credit
Credits to be evaluated for transfer from other education institutions must be requested within 60 calendar days of a student’s start date. All materials must be presented at the time of the request.
All materials must meet the following criteria:
- Earned and recorded on an official transcript from a school that was accredited by a regional, professional/specialized, or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or the U.S. Department of Education at the time the course was completed, or from an appropriately accredited non-U.S. institution.
- Earned within 10 years prior to or after matriculation for graduate programs, but within the time limit for earning the degree, unless noted differently on the Transfer Maximum by Program (Chart) .
- For the undergraduate programs, there is no time limit for when the coursework was earned, unless noted differently on the Transfer Maximum by Program (Chart) . Also, undergraduates are to submit all transcripts prior to admission.
- Courses considered for transfer must be credit bearing.
- For ALL Students: Because colleges and universities use different term-bases, it is important to first apply the transfer of credit formula:
All semester credits accepted in transfer from regionally accredited and/or CHEA-listed post-secondary institutions will be converted to quarter credits using the ratio of 1 semester credit equals 1.5 quarter credits.
- For undergraduate students:
- Earned in courses posting a C (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) or higher.
- Program-Related and Specific General Education Course Credit: Must be earned in a course with a significant content match to the corresponding Walden course or with content considered to enhance the student’s Walden education.
- General Education Requirements (non-specific coursework): Coursework is transferrable to Walden’s General Education area if it is deemed of similar content to Walden’s General Education required emphasis areas in social sciences, humanities, math and natural sciences, and communication.
- Elective Course Credit: Courses with content that do not fulfill general education or program-related requirements may be considered for transfer of credit for the elective requirements (if applicable), and the credit values must be entered on the program of study for face value.
- A total of 45 credits of general education requirements will need to be achieved regardless of transfer of credit awarded.
- Courses accepted in transfer and applied to general education, program-related, or elective requirements will satisfy the course requirement if they are worth the equivalent of 4 quarter credits or more.
- For graduate students:
- Earned in courses posting a B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) or higher.
- Earned in a course with a significant content match to the corresponding Walden course or with content considered to enhance the student’s Walden education.
- Courses accepted in transfer and applied to program-related or elective requirements will satisfy the course requirement if they meet a significant content and credit match. These courses may be considered for transfer of credit and the credit values must be entered on the program of study for the Walden credit equivalent.
- Approved prior to registering for the course or preparing the Learning Agreement for the KAM demonstration for which transfer-of-credit evaluation has been requested.
Doctoral Residency Waiver
Although Walden’s residencies are non-credit-bearing, they are a required part of the doctoral curriculum. For Ph.D. programs, Walden may consider waiving the requirement for Ph.D. Residency 2 based on the following:
- Review of submitted materials from the external program that outline the learning outcomes of the residency and content covered during the residency.
- Proof of successful completion of the residency.
- Approval of the Director of Academic Residencies at Walden.
Prior residency coursework will be reviewed to meet the Walden requirements based on the following:
- Hours of prior residency coursework are comparable to that of the Walden residency.
- A significant content match exists between the prior residency coursework and learning outcomes and the Walden residency coursework and learning outcomes.
- The residency is transcribed on the previous institution transcript as completed or passed.