2013-2014 Walden University Student Handbook (December 2013) 
    Dec 03, 2022  
2013-2014 Walden University Student Handbook (December 2013) [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Petitions for Policy Exceptions

Return to: University Policies and Code of Conduct 

Excluding matters covered under the policies regarding academic appeals related to the Code of Conduct, grievances, transfer-of-credit evaluations, admission, and grade appeals, all exceptions to university policies must be formally petitioned within 30 calendar days of the last day of classes of the academic term in which the situation occurred, using the Student Petition Request form. Students can access this form from the Student Services tab of their portal, under Student Records. Supporting documentation must accompany all petitions. All supporting documentation must be submitted within the same 30-calendar-day time frame as the petition in order for the request to be considered. There will be no consideration of any petitions or supporting materials beyond 30 calendar days of the last day of classes for the term.

The student bears the responsibility to submit all relevant documentation, including e-mail correspondence, curriculum materials, and external documents supporting the petition. Petitions must be submitted electronically via an appropriate web form or by e-mailing petitions@waldenu.edu.

Once the petition is received, an academic advisor will review and verify the submitted documentation. The advisor may contact any of the parties named in the petition to verify information. The advisor will determine whether or not the petition falls into the category of an exception to university policies.

After the documentation has been verified, the academic advisor will forward it to the student’s associate dean/executive director or their designees, with a recommendation, if appropriate. The associate dean/executive director or their designees will review the information, make a decision recommendation to the bursar, notify the student in writing of the decision, and notify any relevant university offices. The decision of the bursar will be final.