Return to: Enrollment Requirements and Options
Students in course-based programs may enroll either full time or part time. Students must know and meet the enrollment requirements of their program and area of specialization or concentration (if appropriate) as described in the applicable section of this Walden University Student Handbook and the Walden University Catalog. Students receiving federal financial aid must know and meet the enrollment requirements for continued aid and/or education loan deferment eligibility.
- Students in KAM- or KAM/course-based programs are considered to be enrolled full time.
- Graduate students in course-based programs enrolled for a minimum of 6 credits per 8- or 12-week term are considered full time.
- Undergraduate students enrolled for 12 or more credits per 8- or 12-week term are considered full time.
- Undergraduate students enrolled for 9 to 11 credits per term are considered enrolled three-quarter time.
- Graduate students registered for 3 to 5 credits are considered enrolled half time. Note: Eligibility for federal financial aid may change due to half-time status.
- Undergraduate students registered for 6 to 8 credits are considered enrolled half time.
Less Than Half-Time Enrollment
- Graduate students registered for fewer than 3 credits are considered enrolled less than half time.
- Students taking a leave of absence from the university are also considered less than half time.
- Undergraduate students registered for fewer than 6 credits per term are considered enrolled less than half time.
Note: Students enrolled less than half time are not eligible for federal loans or loan deferment. First-time undergraduates may be eligible for a federal Pell Grant.
Maximum Course Registration Limit
It is important for students to understand the impact of the course load. Whether undergraduate- or graduate-level courses are being taken, students should recognize that full-time students spend on average between 10 and 20 hours outside the classroom completing course-related work each week. This is in addition to time in the classroom.
Graduate students are not permitted to be enrolled in more than two full courses per 6- or 8-week term. If students feel that circumstances are such that they can successfully complete additional courses in a given term, they must submit a petition to the associate dean/executive director or designee for a temporary (one-term) waiver of the course load limit. The decision of the associate dean/executive director or designee will be based on previous academic record or on the quality and relevance of the student’s request and will be considered final.
Undergraduate students may enroll in no more than 6 quarter credits in their first 6-week term as a student of Walden University. They may subsequently enroll in no more than 12 quarter credits per 6-week term. They may enroll in no more than 22 quarter credits total in any academic quarter.
If students feel, for whatever reason, that circumstances are such that they must exceed the maximum enrollment levels, they may seek approval through the Academic Petition Process at least 10 days prior to the beginning of the quarter or 6-week term.
Note: Approval of such requests will be contingent on the student’s demonstration of the unique or special circumstances of their academic or personal situation that has prompted the appeal. Petitions requesting approval to exceed the maximum credit levels will not be granted simply on student desire to accelerate time to degree.
Minimum Credits Earned at Walden Toward Bachelor’s Degree
Undergraduate students must fulfill a minimum requirement of 45 credits through Walden University to receive a Walden B.S. degree. If students have received transfer credit for a course with duplicated learning in a required course, a member of the Academic Advising Team will recommend another course so students may meet the total number of required credits.
Minimum Years of Enrollment at Walden Toward Graduate Degrees
- Master’s degree and Education Specialist (Ed.S.) degree candidates for graduation must have a minimum of one year enrollment at Walden University.
- Doctoral degree candidates for graduation must have a minimum of 2 years of enrollment at Walden University.