Return to: Acceptable Use Policy
Any information placed on Walden web pages, or uploaded to or transmitted via Walden University’s e-mail service, the eCampus portal, or other University System, must be suitable for viewing or distribution to both the Walden community and potentially the rest of the world.
In addition to the content standards contained in this AUP, users must also comply with academic content requirements contained elsewhere in this Walden University Student Handbook.
- Copyrighted material may not be posted without the written permission of the copyright holder. All materials found on the web should be assumed copyrighted unless a disclaimer or waiver is expressly stated. Quotations must be properly cited.
- Licensed or trademarked material may not be placed on the web without prior written consent from the owner.
- Copyright and trademark violations on the Internet are pervasive. It is always better to err on the side of caution. If unsure of the copyright or trademark status of any particular material, it is better to not copy and post that material.
- Pictures and videos may not be placed on the web without the written permission of the people in the picture or video. Every person has a right to privacy, which includes the right to restrict the use of her or his own image.
- Activity on the Walden network is permitted for business done on behalf of the university or its organizations. The university’s computing and telecommunications facilities and services are to be used for university purposes only and not for the benefit of private individuals or other organizations.
- It is not permitted to run a private business using the university’s network.
- Walden’s name must not be used in ways that suggest or imply the endorsement of other organizations, products, or services.
- It is not permitted, in any e-mail or other message transmitted via the University Systems, for users to give the impression that they are representing, giving opinions, or otherwise making statements on behalf of Walden or any unit of the university unless expressly authorized to do so. Where appropriate, the following explicit disclaimer shall be included: “The opinions or statements expressed herein are my own and should not be taken as a position, opinion, or endorsement of Walden University.”
- Fund raising and advertising may be conducted on the university’s network only for the benefit of Walden University.
- Reselling network IP services over the university’s network to individuals or organizations not affiliated with Walden is strictly prohibited.
- Linking to other sites in the classroom environment is acceptable with permission from Walden systems operators.
- University Systems may not be used to transmit any material that is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, slanderous, obscene, pornographic, indecent, lewd, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, abusive, inflammatory, or otherwise harmful or offensive to others. Using any University System to harm, or attempt to harm, minors in any way is prohibited. The University Systems may not be used to transmit materials of a threatening nature, including death threats, threats of physical harm, or material that threatens or encourages destruction of property.