Return to: Acceptable Use Policy
Electronic communication networks, the Internet, and any University Systems are not to be used to cause harm, no matter how minor, to any individual, entity, or facility.
Users are expected to protect Walden’s good name and reputation as detailed in the university’s Code of Conduct.
The following activities are specifically prohibited:
- Engaging in illegal activities
- Libeling or slandering any person
- Cracking passwords and systems
- Harassing other users
- Sending harassing, unwelcome, or threatening messages
- Sending unauthorized anonymous messages
- Invading another person’s privacy
- Accessing and/or using accounts of others without their permission
- Disclosing passwords to others
- Monitoring electronic communications without authorization
- Reading, copying, altering, or deleting someone else’s files without that person’s permission
- Copying copyrighted materials without authorization
- Using illegally obtained software on the system
- Forging messages
Disrupting or Causing Damage
- Destroying or damaging equipment, software, or data belonging to others
- Disrupting service to other users or the system
- Contributing to system attacks, denial of services, and other malicious uses of the network and systems
Engaging in Commercial Activities
- Contributing to unwelcome and/or unwarranted commercial pressure
- Sending bulk unsolicited messages
- Giving away or selling information about accounts to allow other non-owners to access or use accounts
Back to Top
Permitted Uses; Personal Use
The University Systems are solely intended for use in connection with the academic, administrative, social, and operational activities of Walden University, its affiliates, and university-approved organizations.
Users may make incidental personal use of the University Systems, subject to the policies and limitations contained in this AUP and elsewhere in this Walden University Student Handbook, and provided that such use does not interfere with university operation of information technologies or electronic mail services, burden the university with incremental costs, violate any policy of the university (including without limitation this AUP), or interfere with the user’s employment or other obligations to the university.
Back to Top
The university further reserves the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and deny or terminate service to a user, without notice, if the university believes such user is using the e-mail or another University System in any manner prohibited herein or that adversely impacts the university’s network or service levels. Walden University reserves the right to protect its network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows, by disconnecting users or limiting their access to the network in the event of any violations of these provisions. Walden University also reserves the right to treat excessive use of the University Systems as a material violation of the AUP and the Code of Conduct.