2018–2019 Walden University Student Handbook (September 2018) 
    Jun 29, 2022  
2018–2019 Walden University Student Handbook (September 2018) [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Terms and Definitions

Return to: Federal Programs  

Treatment of Courses and Credits

Course Repetitions: Repeated courses for which a grade of “D” or better has already been earned do not count as earned or as completed credits toward the student’s completion rate.

Drops: Courses dropped before the end of the add/drop period are not included in the financial aid satisfactory progress calculations.

Incompletes: Incomplete grades count as credits attempted and not completed, but do not impact GPA.

Periods With No Financial Aid: Financial aid progress requirements include all periods of enrollment, including periods in which the student did not receive financial aid.

Second Program: The maximum timeframe will be reset for students who complete one program or degree at Walden University and begin a subsequent program or degree.

Transfer Credits: All transfer credits are considered as both attempted and completed when calculating the minimum course completion rate and maximum time frame.

Unsatisfactory Grades: Unsatisfactory grades count as credits attempted and not completed, but do not impact GPA.

Withdrawals: Courses from which students withdraw after the add/drop periods are considered to be attempted but not completed.

Policy and Definitions

Appeal: Occasionally, a student’s academic progress may be impacted by unusual circumstances that are beyond the student’s control. A student may appeal for an extension of financial aid if the student successfully completes the warning term and can document that unexpected, unusual, and temporary circumstances affected the student’s ability to progress at the required rate. See the Right to Appeal section of this policy for details.

Maximum Time Frame: Federal financial aid eligibility expires without warning when the student reaches the maximum time frame or if the financial aid academic progress review makes it clear that the student cannot mathematically finish the current program within the maximum time frame.

The maximum time frame will be reset for students completing a second or additional degree at Walden.

The maximum time frame for students who change programs without earning a Walden degree is cumulative for all programs attempted and is measured against the maximum time frame for the current program.

The maximum time frame excludes quarters/semesters of nonenrollment and quarters/semesters in which all courses are dropped before the start of the term or during the drop period.

Financial aid eligibility for an academic program ceases as soon as all academic requirements for graduation have been met regardless of maximum time frame standing.

Minimum Course Completion Rate (Pace): A percentage calculated by dividing cumulative successfully completed credits by total credits attempted. For example, a student who has successfully completed 27 credits at Walden out of a total of 40 attempted credits has a course completion rate of 67%. This rate includes credits transferred in to Walden.

Minimum GPA—Cumulative: The grade point average (GPA) for all coursework pertaining to the current program of study.

Minimum GPA—Period of Enrollment: The grade point average (GPA) for all courses attempted during the most recent period of enrollment.

Period of Enrollment: One semester or one quarter.

Status—Financial Aid Warning: This status is assigned to a student who fails to make satisfactory academic progress during his or her most recent period of enrollment. The student has one period of enrollment to be successful and maintain eligibility for financial aid.

Status—Financial Aid Probation: This status is assigned to a student who fails to make satisfactory academic progress during his or her period of enrollment, fails to successfully return to satisfactory progress during one term of financial aid warning, completes a successful appeal for mitigating circumstances, and has eligibility for financial aid reinstated on a probationary basis. Financial aid probation is assigned for one period of enrollment. It may be extended if accompanied by an academic plan.

Academic Plan: This status is assigned in order to assist students in returning to compliance by a specified date. The option for extended probation with an academic plan is only available if it is not reasonable to expect the student to achieve successful academic progress during the typical one-term extension of probation. An academic plan may be a course-by-course plan for degree completion, a specification for number of credits and/or grade requirements for particular periods of enrollment, and/or requirements for the student to get academic support or to use other academic resources. A student must comply with all aspects of an academic plan in order to retain eligibility for financial aid.

Status—Financial Aid Ineligibility: This status is assigned to a student who failed to be successful during the period of financial aid warning or probation. Students who do not complete a successful appeal, who are not successful during a single-term financial aid probation, or who do not comply with an academic plan for an extended period of financial aid probation will lose all federal financial aid eligibility. A student with financial aid ineligibility status is not eligible for federal financial aid until the student meets all the requirements again. Simply sitting out a term, paying cash, or changing academic programs will not return a student to satisfactory academic progress. 

Loss of Federal Financial Aid Eligibility

Students who become ineligible to receive federal financial aid but remain in compliance with the academic progress standards for continuance in their program are not withdrawn from the program, but they must make alternative payment arrangements with the bursar by the appropriate tuition due date. To establish a payment plan students should contact the Office of the Bursar at 1-877-302-5504. Students may still be eligible for private educational loans if federal aid eligibility is lost. For information about private educational loans, students can visit https://www.waldenu.edu/financial-aid/types/grants-loans/private-loans.