Return to: Technology Requirements
To help ensure success, students should be proficient using e-mail, the Internet, and common desktop productivity software.
- Internet access required (Broadband is recommended as students with dial-up may experience degraded performance)
- Windows 7 (and higher) or Mac OS X (and higher)
- 2GB of RAM minimum
- 40GB hard drive
- DVD drive, speakers, and headphone connected to the computer
- Inkjet or laser printer
- Portable media (thumb drive)
- Recommended Web browser—current version of Chrome
- Other Web browsers (most up-to-date version of Firefox).
- Microsoft Office
- Adobe Reader ver. 10.1 or higher
- Adobe Flash Player ver. 11.7 or higher
- Apple QuickTime ver. 7.7 or higher
- Windows Media Player ver. 11 or higher
- Antivirus software (e.g., McAfee or Norton) installed, running, and kept current by promptly installing the upgrades and patches made available by the software manufacturer
It is recommended that students use a laptop computer to complete their coursework in the online classroom. Students who have a supported mobile or tablet device in addition to their laptop may also download the Blackboard App, which allows students to complete select portions of their coursework while on the go.
Additional Technology Requirements
Some programs may require additional technology requirements that are not mentioned above. Please refer to the program within the Walden University Catalog to review any special technology requirements for the program of study. In addition, please refer to the section titled Student Technology Responsibilities under Technology Policies.
Students attending virtual residencies will have additional requirements. In addition to the current technical requirements for Walden’s online courses, the virtual residency requires you to have the following:
Webcam (minimum resolution at 640x480 standard definition)
Broadband Internet at 1.5 Mbps or higher (required due to streaming media needs)
Video card with 64MB VRAM and pixel shaders or 4 texture units
Screen resolution of 1024x768 or higher
2GHz Dual-core CPU or higher
During the course of the program, requirements (either hardware or software) may change from the original technology recommendation. Make sure to consult the software/hardware requirements within the program or with the faculty member or program director for any technology recommendations that may have changed since the original recommendation mentioned above or within the program of study.