Return to: Section 8. Student Support Services
The Center for Research Quality is a valuable resource for both students and faculty members, providing assistance with various aspects of their research. Its mission is to align, maintain, integrate, and enrich those activities that contribute to the quality and productivity of Walden University research. In so doing, it serves the university community by supporting high standards in ethics, scientific rigor, and the dissemination of knowledge in the interest of positive social change. Its primary role is to formulate, coordinate, and oversee processes supporting student research capstones. Additionally, it provides services that support other faculty and student research activities conducted under the auspices of the university through
- Assisting in the pursuit of grants, fellowships, and other sources of funding for students’ research projects
- Providing resources for publishing and presenting students’ research
- Constructing guidelines and rubrics for developing a thesis and a dissertation
- Facilitating access to the Institutional Review Board (IRB), which is responsible for ensuring that Walden research complies with the university’s ethical standards and federal regulations.
The Center for Research Quality provides guidelines, progress flowcharts, forms, and sample projects to assist students in planning and conducting their research. In addition, this site provides information on research grant opportunities and other resources related to data collection, data analysis, and publication of results.
The Center for Research Quality operates through four offices:
- Office of Student Research Administration is dedicated to helping doctoral and master’s students with their final research project (i.e., thesis, dissertation, doctoral study). This office coordinates the basic steps of the research project process through all its stages, including assembly of the committee, approval of the proposal, setup of the oral conference, and submission of the thesis, dissertation, or doctoral study for its final academic review.
- Office of Research Ethics and Compliance is the home of Walden’s Institutional Review Board (IRB). All IRB applications are submitted to this office, where they are processed and submitted to IRB members for review. This office is also responsible for managing Walden’s online Research Participant Pool, which is a means for providing students and faculty with access to Walden students for participation in web-based research projects and ensuring that research is in compliance with IRB requirements and federal regulations.
- Office of Research and Sponsored Programs assists students and faculty in obtaining both internal and external grant-supported funding for their research.
- Office of Research Quality Management is charged with maintaining and continuously improving the quality of research associated with the university. It provides support to facilitate student research through the review and maintenance of graduate research curriculum. It also provides training to faculty members seeking to work as dissertation chairs of capstone committees, and it maintains university-level oversight of the standardized University Research Review (URR) process used to guide all graduate student capstone research. Finally, the office provides resources related to planning and writing research studies, research tutorials and guides, locating faculty expertise, and consultations regarding research methods for faculty.