2014-2015 Walden University Student Handbook (September 2014) 
    Aug 17, 2022  
2014-2015 Walden University Student Handbook (September 2014) [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

College of Social and Behavioral Sciences

Return to: Additional Academic Unit/Program Requirements 

School of Counseling

Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision   

  1. Applicants must have a master’s degree in counseling from a Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)-accredited or CACREP-model program, of at least 54 quarter credits or 36 semester credits. 
  2. Those applicants who have not graduated from a CACREP-accredited or CACREP-model program may be admitted into the program; however, these students will need to complete entry-level course requirements. (Students can start the Foundations course prior to completion of prerequisites.)


School of Psychology

Ph.D. in Psychology—Counseling Psychology Specialization

  • A bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, from a U.S. school accredited by a regional/professional/specialized or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), the U.S. Department of Education, or from a non-U.S. institution, in a discipline or field related to the program/specialization for which application is made. 
  • A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.25 on a 4.0 scale in bachelor’s degree coursework, and 3.0 in master’s degree coursework, in a related field. 
  • Conditional Admission may be available for this program.
  • Faculty review of admissions file. 
  • Professional goal statement
  • 2 professional references
Clinical and Counseling Specializations

Due to the practicum requirements of these programs, applicants must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or U.S. Territories at time of admission and currently reside in the United States or U.S. Territories at time of admission to be eligible for these programs. U.S. military personnel stationed abroad should contact their Enrollment Advisor to determine eligibility.


School of Social Work and Human Services

Master of Social Work

Advanced Standing Applicants

  • Applicants must have graduated with a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree from a Council of Social Work Education (CSWE)-accredited program within the last 6 years.
  • Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 to be eligible for the Advanced Standing track.
    • If an applicant does not meet the qualification requirements for the Advanced Standing program, enrollment advisors should recommend either the part-time or 2-year tracks as alternative options.