Return to: Admission
Walden University encourages transfer of credit from other institutions. Prior to admission to Walden, applicants may request an unofficial evaluation of transfer of credit. Transfer of Credit requests should be submitted during the application process, but no later than 60 days from the start of program. This can be done with unofficial transcripts.
Transfer-of-credit documentation, when requested, should be submitted to the Office of Admissions.
Normally, students are officially notified when credits are accepted for transfer to a program at the same time that they are given an offer of admission or during their first term of enrollment.
Official evaluation of credits for transfer to a program requires the following:
- Official transcript that reflects the course being evaluated
- Syllabi for courses being evaluated for transfer, upon request
- For non-U.S. institutions
- A copy of the catalog course description
- Evaluation and certification of transcripts by a credential evaluation service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)
Transfer credits will not be calculated into the Walden grade point average (GPA). Only Walden course grades will be included in the Walden GPA.
Note the following exceptions:
- Walden residency units completed at one degree level are not transferable in to a different degree level.
- Depending on the program, same-level residency units may be considered for transfer within same-level degree programs.
- Residency units completed prior to September 2006 are not transferable, as the residency requirements have significantly changed.
- External residency units are not transferable in to Walden programs.
- Internships, practica, dissertations, doctoral studies, and theses are not permitted for transfer.
In addition to the university requirements for the transfer of credit, some colleges, schools, or programs specify other conditions. Students should check the Transfer Maximum by Program table in this Walden University Student Handbook, as well as the program’s section in the Walden University Catalog, for program-specific transfer-of-credit requirements.